Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Transformation of Writing

When I think of writing I think of the written page, the novel being the ultimate end to what writing is.  When I write I keep in mind a plot and a setting, along with form.  However, Bernstein points out the fact that writing did not always exist for the purpose of being documented and kept permanently.  Writing was once an aid in memory that was intended for a larger end.  Bernstein shows a different way of interpreting writing by focusing on the production and transformation of writing rather than the storage of the written word. For example, Bernstein says, "the means of language and cultural reproduction always become a means of production and variance, as what is "stored" is transformed by the means of its imagined storage--so that it is a matter of morphing more than storing"(508).  However, the fact that one form of technology of writing changes dramatically or replaces another is false.  Rather it does "shift the balance and writing registers the change"(508).  By technology of writing I mean alphabetic, oral, and even digital which have changed the shapes of writing over the centuries.

1 comment:

  1. So, given that writing is now changing its technology (means of production, means of distribution, means of consumption), what balances are being shifted, do you think?

    ReplyDelete