Tracing back the history of the letter S, I found that it first came about through the letter sigma in the Greek alphabet. S is known as the symbol of silence by the Romans from the sound that comes from S when spoken. First resembling the letter W by the Phoenicians, and the letter f in Old English, the letter S transformed its shape throughout time to resemble our modern day letter. It is now one of our most frequently used letters in English.
What interests me about this letter is the way it is shaped. It has curves which are opposite of each other yet symmetrical. Also, I find it interesting that it is called "the silent letter" when it is one of the most commonly used letters in the English language. The S resembles a snake, whose personality is silent but deadly. By showing an animation of an S turning into a snake, I feel like it could help others realize the potentiality of this letter.
http://www.alphabetandletter.com/S.html
http://www.fonts.com/AboutFonts/Articles/Letterseries/index.htm
http://babelstone.blogspot.com/2006/07/long-and-short-of-letter-s.html
No comments:
Post a Comment